IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION REGARDING OUR FOSTER PROGRAM, PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK HERE: FOSTERING FOR SHELBY HUMANE
Thank you for your interest in our volunteer program! We are glad you want to join our life-saving team! At the Shelby Humane Society, we want our volunteers to FEEL their impact on our organization. We will always need *dog walkers, and *cat socializers, but we are trying to build a team of COMMITTED volunteers to assist us in day-to-day operations. That is why we are only asking for help with very specific tasks. We need Adoption Counselors, Offsite Volunteers, Medical Volunteers, Behavior and Enrichment Volunteers, and Woof Pack Volunteers. Until we fill these roles, we will only hold orientations for new volunteers that are wanting to fill these roles. Commitment is required and that is why we are looking for folks who understand this strategy and are willing to help us where we truly need assistance.
Want to become a volunteer here at the Shelby Humane Society? The first step is to fill out an application at Shelby Humane or by clicking the link below. After the application is turned in, you will receive a confirmation email. The email will tell you the next dates for orientation. An orientation will be held on two Fridays a month and from 4 p.m.to 5 p.m. and the 3rd Saturday of the month from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Dates are subject to change, depending on staff needs or Holidays.
*Dog walkers and Cat socializers are still needed, but are NOT required to attend an orientation.
Click here for the Woof Pack Volunteer Handbook and Woof Pack Training Slides. For more information please check our Orientation slides, 2017 Volunteer Handbook, and How to sign up for tasks, events, and assignments.
Make a lasting impression in the lives of hundreds…of dogs! We are building a new and exciting volunteer opportunity called the WOOF PACK! You get to help socialize dogs in more depth, you get to work closely with facility staff and you get some Shelby Humane Society swag! The WOOF PACK will be comprised of dedicated volunteers that want to help teach dogs basic skills that will improve their chances of adoption. The Woof Pack is still in the early stage. We anticipate beginning in full in Feb/March, but we want to start now finding interested individuals. This will allow us to begin training the Woof Pack. You will walk the dogs and while walking them you will be able to use our upcoming enrichment trail with different training stations for the dogs. If you want more information or have any questions, please email PamelaS@shelbyhumane.org.
Please complete our Volunteer Application and Waiver of Liability.
- If you are under 16 you must be accompanied by an adult. We understand that many students need volunteer hours for clubs or school, but all new volunteers must attend an orientation. We ask that you plan accordingly.
- All volunteers must purchase a $10 volunteer t-shirt (if available) and wear it for the duration of their shift.
- All court ordered volunteers must apply in person at Shelby Humane Society. You will need a copy of your court paperwork and it must have the offense listed on it.
- You can also support SHS through the School Community Service Give Me Five Program…
- Students grades K-12 may obtain a maximum of five volunteer hours by hosting a fundraiser or supply drive for SHS. In the past students have held supply drives to obtain items from our wish-list, and have also organized lemonade stands or other fundraisers to raise money for items on our wish-list.
- During your drive, take pictures of you working with the community to gather supplies, then send the pictures to PamelaS@shelbyhumane.org and schedule a day to drop off your donations!
- Please note: If you wish to bring a group to volunteer, we cannot accept more than 20 people at a time. This will help to eliminate chaos and ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, and animals.