Tues: Noon – 5:30 pm
Wed: Noon – 5:30 pm
Thur: Noon – 5:30 pm
Fri: Noon – 5:30 pm
Sat: 10 am – 4 pm (*NOTICE* – Beginning May 12th, Saturday adoption hours will change to 12p-4p)
Sun: 1 pm – 4 pm
*PLEASE NOTE: The adoption process can take up to 30 minutes. Depending on the volume of adopters we may have to stop adoptions 30 minutes before close. Potential adopters who visit us less than 30 minutes from close may have to return the next adoption day to complete an adoption.*
Looking for adoptable dogs? <——- CLICK HERE
Looking for adoptable cats? <——- CLICK HERE
Questions about adoption? Many of the questions you may have can be answered in our Adoption FAQs section.
Many of the pets you see here may still be in a stray hold. Please note that the adoptable dogs and cats listed in the links above may not be every pet we have available for adoption. The best way to learn about our available pets is to visit the Humane Society in person during adoption and viewing hours. We often rely on volunteer photographers to take photos and due to the volume of homeless pets we receive it is difficult to keep up-to-date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer your time to photograph our adorable adoptable cats and dogs.
At Shelby County Humane Society, we work to find pets homes and find homes pets! If you are ready to adopt a new cat or dog, we want to help you find the perfect fit for your home and family. We get to know our adoptable dogs and cats very well while preparing them to find their forever homes, and we can help you find the perfect pet to fit your family, lifestyle, and home. Please feel free to call or email us with any questions you may have about pet ownership and what type of pet will best suit your lifestyle. With 200-350 adoptable pets in our care at any given time, we are confident that we have a cat or dog that will make the perfect addition to your family. Learn more about our adoption fees and what valuable items and services are included in that fee. *Please note that adoption fees are non-refundable. These fees pay for services rendered such as spay/neuter surgeries and rabies vaccinations that our veterinarian provides. Adoptions completed over the phone, or what could be referred to as an “Intent-to-Adopt” also fall under this policy.*
Before adding a new pet, please consider the following questions:
- Do you have space for the animal?
- Does everyone in your home want a new pet?
- Will you have plenty of time to spend with your pet?
- Can you afford vet visits and yearly check-ups?
- Have you considered the potential that an animal may damage furniture or carpet?
- Are you allowed to have a pet in your condo, apartment, or rental property?
- Who will care for your pet when you are out of town?
- Are you willing to care for an animal for the rest of its life?
If you read through those questions and are prepared for the commitment of pet ownership, we are prepared to help you find the newest addition to your family!
Please come visit our shelter during our adoption hours listed above, or at our offsite adoption opportunities at:
- PetSmart 280 (every 2nd Saturday of the month)
- PetSmart Alabaster (every 4th Saturday of the month)
- Hollywood Feed of Hoover (every 2nd Saturday of the month on ODD MONTHS).
You can fill out our online adoption questionnaire by email to our Adoption Desk. One of our adoptions staff will get back with you ASAP! (Adoption staff work Tuesday through Sunday–if completed on an off day, please allow time to respond.)
DID YOU KNOW??
When you adopt an adult dog or puppy from SHS, you qualify to receive 4 weeks of specialized training for JUST $50! This offer is due in part to our incredible partnership with Roverchase in Pelham!
- Learn basic manners and commands like sit, wait, & walk with me
- Potty training/Crate Training
- LOTS of socialization time in a safe environment so your puppy can learn the skills they need to be a confident and happy companion
- Early intervention classes are recommended by The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) as the best way to start training your puppy!
Adult Dog Adopters Receive:
- Learn all the basics for a wonderful companion like sit, down, stay, walk without pulling, and come when called.
- Work on common behavior issues like play biting, barking, door greetings, & jumping up.
- Teach your dog to greet other people and dogs calmly.
- For dogs under 6 months of age, you will be eligible to test for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Certification! Your puppy will then receive a medallion & certificate from the AKC acknowledging all of your hard work!
- Recurring offsite adoption events
- Helpful books and other resources
- Printable handouts for behavior training
- Now you can get pet-advice from ASPCA experts 24 hours a day- right from your computer! Just select whichever topic best suits your needs. There are MANY options to choose from! http://aspca.org/pet-care